Monday, July 14, 2008

The Mother Church

Wow, so today was a tad bit overwhelming.

First of all, we began the day in the Big Top, and let me just say, the Big Top is a REALLY BIG Top! Imagine a tent. Now imagine that tent fit 1600 chairs on bleachers with three stages and stage room in back. Basically picture a two pronged circus tent and you can imagine what's gone up for the plenary sessions. Of course, there will be very few plenary sessions. Archbishop Rowan has made it so that this Lambeth will have no resolutions, and so few plenaries will be taking place. Instead, there will be daily Bible studies, Indaba groups (smaller discussion groups) and self select sessions in the afternoons. It will be quite impressive. The job of the stewards in the Big Top will be to usher people in and out and to take care of the communion lines.

At lunch time today, I just happened to find myself sitting at the same table as the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon. You know, no biggie, just the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon at my lunch table... an every day occurence really. Nothing at all. (For those of you wondering, the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon is the General Secretary of the entire Anglican communion. You know, the one who ate lunch at my table this afternoon!) :). That was probably the first excitement of the day.

This afternoon was somewhat slower. We had a CPR/First aid course... in an hour and a half! It was really just CPR, and obviously not very in depth. I feel it's probably a good thing I'm still First Aid certified from last year...

Tonight we mosied on down to Canterbury Cathedral where we were given a closed tour of the church. The mother church of the Anglican communion, with the doors locked! It was awesome, (and I mean that in the somewhat archaic, awe inspiring, oh-my-gosh-I-just-walked-past-the-chair-of-St-Augustine sort of way). While there, I managed to actually walk past the chair of St Augustine, see the spot where Thomas Becket was murdered, see the tomb of Anselm of Canterbury, see the shrine of Thomas Becket and best of all, find a trap door in the ceiling of the tower!!! Apparently through it there's a giant hamster wheel for humans which they used in the construction of the towerto haul up bricks!

Anyways, after that we went out to a pub for our last night before the Bishops really arrive and played a good game of Scrabble! I had a nice South African fair-trade Shiraz to accompany the game, and subsequently lost. I'd just like to say though, that we were doing really really well until the other team won! (Apparently over here, when one team finishes their letters, the number of points you have on your tray goes to the winning team! What hope do you have!? Luiz and I had a 'z' left over)

Well, that's about all for tonight. I'm sure things will be getting significantly more exciting in the next few days! Pray for us all! (Seriously :)) And pray the bishops get here safe. I think the current count has gone down to about 640 unfortunately. I'm not quite sure why yet. I'll be checking. Apparently the numbers have been fluctuating quite a bit.

Love and blessings to you all,
Nick.

P.S. - For all those of you who may know the Rt. Rev. Ralph Spence, there is now an appreciation society for him on Facebook! Find it on my profile if you're interested!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Nick, you may be the only person in the world whose heart skips a beat when in the presence of the Anglifamous. And can you ever say you've lost when you've spent the evening with a good shiraz? You sound like a winner to me.

Jen <=:) -still wearing the mitre