Sunday, July 13, 2008

Habemus Dominum!

A quick note from home... I can now officially (read: finally!) say that St. George's Church in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue has a new priest! Well, we will in the Fall at least. A successful committee I dare say was struck back in... November, I think, maybe. Anyhow, after many gruelling, hooorrible months (just kidding, it was actually pretty quick, and a rather good experience, sometimes even fun!), we've today announced the Rev. Dr. Neil Mancor as our new rector. Congratulations! I think it's safe to say we're all pretty excited to have him join us in the parish.

Canterbury Cathedral today was quite impressive. A group of us went down for the morning Eucharist, and guess who we found, yet ANOTHER former Canadian bishop, this time in the procession, the Rt. Rev. Victoria Matthews (now of Christ Church, New Zealand)! This place seems to be a hot bed of partying for the Canadian ex-bishopric! We love them all, and I think people are quite pleased to have Bishop Ralph and Carol here with us. So far they've been with the stewards every day and for virtually every activity, which has been pretty neat. We have our own bishop!

The rest of today went by rather quickly. We layed down plastic lego/megabloc/puzzle square things all over the grass so that it doesn't get torn up by the thousands of shoes treading over it. At current guesses, there are going to be around 2500 people at this conference, that's like, 5000 feet! Speaking of large numbers, today was the second day in a row in which we had Evensong with the chaplains :). I would say that's a new record as to how many days I've been around both monks and nuns, but I guess there was that Taize weekend thingie back last year. Still, I quite enjoyed it, and fully intend to rectify that personal record someday. FULLY. :). Matthew, I have another idea I think you'll love, or laugh at, probably the latter... Definitely the latter.

Well, on that somewhat cryptic note, I shall leave you all for tonight! Tomorrow is our last full day of training... then the bishops come! At last. I feel like I've finished an entire conference already, and we've yet to begin. Well, onwards and upwards!

Adieu,
Nick.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! Jang, you're the best, and I miss you. Thanks for keeping us all posted :)

My life here is pretty boring.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you